Monday, April 29, 2019

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



Summary

In the dystopian society of Panem, formerly North America, a dark and crazed tradition birthed as a means of vengeance for past rebellion occurs annually. This tradition is the Hunger Games, a life and death battle between two tributes from each of the 12 districts. Participants are drawn at random at the public “reaping,” which is aired for the whole country to see. Children ranging in age from twelve to eighteen will face insurmountable odds - wilderness, hunger, wild animals, and perhaps worst of all each other - to win the game. Katniss Everdeen is one such participant.

A member of the poor district 12, Katniss voluntarily takes the place of her twelve year old sister, Prim. Leaving behind her family and friends, she and Peeta Mellark, the male representative from District 12, embark on a journey to a place filled with rich foods, fancy outfits, and private rooms - the Capitol. Beneath the fancy dinners and appointments with personal stylists and clothing designers, the Capitol is full of deceit and darkness. Katniss, Peeta, and the other 22 contestants in the games undergo trainings, interviews, sessions with stylists, judging, and more as they prepare for the game in which only one is supposed to survive.

Personal Reflections

Full of twists and turns, romance, and a ton of action, The Hunger Games is surely a book to keep any reader on his or her toes. While I found the premise extremely dark, I really love how Collins creates a society not too unlike unlike our own, in which people crave action and violence. When considering the number of people who watch reality TV, it’s easy to make the connection between Panem and America. While we don’t force our children to fight to the death in an arena, we do condone a lot of violence and discrimination. Our appetites for drama often lead to places we don’t necessarily intend to inhabit.

I will say I found the book much better than the movie, although I liked the movie, too. I think watching the movie did help prepare me for the book. Suzanne Collins exhibits great skill in her writing. I personally can’t wait to start book two in the series. I chose to listen to the audiobook on Overdrive because it allows me to accomplish multiple things at once - I’ve been busy here in the library! The reader does a very good job at convincing me she is the voice of Katniss Everdeen. I highly recommend this book for middle and high school readers. Check out The Hunger Games from your library or on Overdrive today! I think I am going to start Catching Fire now!

No comments:

Post a Comment