Monday, April 29, 2019

Rebound by Kwame Alexander




Summary


As a companion novel to Alexander’s Crossover, Rebound tells the story of a teenage Charlie “Chuck” Bell, who recounts the summer after his dad died and his life changed drastically. Charlie is a normal teen in many ways, but he is also attempting to overcome his grief at the loss of his dad. When his mother decides to send him to visit his grandparents for the entire summer of 1988, Charlie is less than ecstatic. But it’s there that he learns who he really is and uncovers a lifelong dream he didn’t even know he had. This book is full of basketball, hard work, and life lessons about the importance of family and friendship. Alexander does not disappoint!

Personal Reflections

Very rarely does a book make me cry at the end, but this one did just that. I am very much a lover of all things poetry, so I knew Rebound would not disappoint. Novels in verse always rank high on my list anyway. What I love about Kwame Alexander’s books is that he can capture my complete attention even though I am not a sports enthusiast. I simply cannot get enough of his books! The way he intertwines sports with deep life lessons makes me think he must have a beautiful soul. If you haven’t read one of his books, stop now and check one out. You will not regret it. Alexander will make you fall in love with poetry, and you won’t even realize that’s what you’re reading! I recommend Rebound for any students in grades 5-12. Adults will love it, too. Check it out from your library today!

No comments:

Post a Comment