Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Refugee by Alan Gratz

Summary

Alan Gratz presents three stories in one: the story of Josef, a refugee from Germany fleeing with his family to escape the Nazi power; Isabel, a young girl fleeing Cuba with her family (including her 9 months pregnant mother) during 1994; and Mahmoud, a Muslim boy escaping Syria with his family during the year 2015. Their stories present a wide array of challenges - from drownings, shark attacks, persecution, separation from family, sacrifice to everything in between. Based on true events, Refugee tells a side of the story often unheard or forgotten. It is a book that contains much sadness and joy in every chapter. Readers find themselves cheering our protagonists on, maintaining hope of a brighter, freer future along with them. The audiobook contains an Author's Note, in which Gratz explores the events of each story, tying them to actual events in history and to the people involved in those events. 

Personal Reflections

I have to say this was one of the saddest books I've read, but I really loved it. I found myself experiencing a mixture of emotions - anger for the oppression of the characters, sadness for the situations, and hope for those who may have experienced or are experiencing similar situations. The way Gratz ties the three stories together was extremely well done. I confess my naiveness about situations involving refugees. I hear stories, but I feel rather removed from them. I think it is important to reflect on their stories, and I appreciate authors like Alan Gratz who are willing to write about the hard stuff in an effort to raise awareness to the harsh realities. It was obvious Gratz did his research, too. I took this novel to be more of a call to action than a work of historical fiction. Gratz himself is donating part of the proceeds from the selling of his book and audiobook to organizations assisting refugees. I highly recommend giving this book a try. Check it out in your library or on Overdrive today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment