Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Booked by Kwame Alexander

Summary

Nick's twelve year old mind is focused on anything but reading books. He's got way too much to think about . . . soccer, the girl he's crushing on, and who has time for books anyway? Nick frequents the library, but it's not to get books.

When his mom suddenly moves out of the city to return to working with horses, Nick doesn't know what to do! Nothing makes sense anymore. How is his dad going to raise him when they barely even talk, and why does he have to read his dad's dictionary every single night?

This story is one of a father and a son learning to get along with each other in the midst of difficult circumstances. While telling this story, we also see the value of books and reading at work.

Personal Reflections

I loved this novel as much as the first novel I'd read of his. Maybe even more. His poetry flows so well, bringing both creativity and a certain amount of wit. I've always thought all life is poetry, so I always appreciate a good novel in verse. Alexander doesn't disappoint in the least with this one. Beauty is found on every page. My favorite character was the librarian, of course, and I found myself getting some good ideas from him. I think everyone will enjoy this story - girls and boys alike. Pick it up at your library!

No comments:

Post a Comment