Saturday, September 1, 2012

Module 1: The Giving Tree


Summary:

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is a classic story about a tree that simply loves a boy and gives up everything for that boy in an effort to make the boy happy. This story is essentially the story of Jesus Christ, where the tree is the embodiment of Christ and humanity is represented by the boy.

Personal Impressions:

I found this book to be sad and sweet at the same time. After I read it to my children, I thought, "I think I know why this book is listed under Books Adults Love but that Aren't Necessarily Good Books. My kids enjoyed the book, and I wish I had taken the time to relay the religious parallel to them. I acknowledge that they, being 3 and 18 months, wouldn't understand it even if I had, but I still wish I'd said something to them about it. I like this book mostly because of the message behind it. The art work is simple but really cute. The story is actually simple but really cute, too. I wouldn't have thought to personify an apple tree, but Silverstein did. I think it's a fabulous example of personification; something I might be able to use to teach that particular literary device to my students.

Professional Review:

Publisher's Weekly (2003) says the following about Silverstein's beloved picture book: "The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein's classic parable of selfless love and devotion originally published in 1964, is now available in a larger-size edition" (Publisher's Weekly, 2003). 

Library Uses:

I think this book would be great for students to read and discuss ways they give. It could even tie into volunteer work or a Salvation Army angel tree display. The librarian could even blog about the book and include links to organizations where children and parents could volunteer. For older kids, they could learn about personification and talk about the theme. The librarian could pair with the classroom teacher in both instances.

References:

Publishers Weekly. (2003). Retrieved from www.publishersweekly.com

Silverstein, S. (1964). The giving tree. New York, NY: Harper Collins.




No comments:

Post a Comment